How to File an Income Tax Extension


income-taxIf you need more time to file your 2016 federal income tax return, you can request an extension. An extension will give you until Oct. 16, 2017, to file your return, and you can avoid the penalty of 5 percent of the unpaid taxes for each month it is late.

 An extension does not give you more time to pay what you owe. You will need to estimate the amount of tax you owe and pay that amount by April 18, 2017, or your will be subject to penalties and interest.

 You need to file Form 4868 ( electronically by using IRS e-file or completing a paper copy and mailing it to the address in the table below.





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s